Date Published: 05 Oct 2021
Citizens Advice Portsmouth was one the first 200 Citizens Advice offices to open. We did this on 4th September 1939, the day after World War II started. We provide information and advice to the people of Portsmouth and the surrounding areas. We do this in two ways:
- with our volunteer-led generalist advice service, providing information and advice and acting as a first point of contact
- through our specialist teams, such as our accredited debt advisers and immigration advisers.
We have an amazing group of dedicated volunteers working with us and without them, we wouldn’t be here. Our volunteers are truly integral to making our services work. Many of our volunteers work in frontline roles, assisting our clients on our Reception & Triage team and with some of our specialist teams.
Additionally, volunteers help us to make things work in non-client facing roles, such as administration, social media, communications, and research and campaigning. If you have a skillset that you’re eager to put in to practice or if you have a number of years work experience and are now looking to use yoru learnings and expertise to help others, we would love to hear from you.
Every role is different and is provided with training and supervision. However, to be a volunteer you need:
- the drive to help the people of Portsmouth and go that extra mile
- the self-discipline to be responsible for your training and development
- a collaborative approach, working closely alongside others in a team
- an average commitment of at least 6 hours per week over at least 6 months
When volunteering with us, you are part of an organisation that means you get to:
- make a real difference to people’s lives
- learn about a range of issues that affect our clients, such as debts, benefits, and housing
- build up valuable transferable skills that will assist you in any role you undertake, with us or anyone else in the future
- meet new people with the same values
- obtain experience of working with a nationally recognised brand
Finally, we thought it would be interesting to share the stories of two of our volunteers.
I retired having spent over 40 years working as a Chartered Surveyor in and around the Portsmouth area. I wanted to spend time giving something back and also learning new skills. I have worked as a volunteer on Triage since beginning of this year. I have learnt a lot; and the support and training are very good. I do find the role rewarding through helping people with information and advice.
I started volunteering with Citizens Advice Portsmouth’s Immigration Team during my final year of studying at University, and the experience has been excellent. I have been able to develop my professional skills thanks to the training and supervision provided, while also being able to influence positive change in the wider community. Being part of Citizen Advice Portsmouth’s team of friendly staff and volunteers all working to positively impact people’s lives have been an amazing experience to compliment my university studies and beyond.
If you are interested in joining our team as a volunteer, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.